LVN/LPT (Bilingual Preferred) - Position #674
Rural Mental Health - Multi Sites - Fresno County
40 E. Minarets Avenue, Pinedale, CA 93650
Tina Ballestero, LVN/LPT Supervisor
Monolingual: Class 115 ($17.85 - $23.48/hour)
Bilingual: Class 120 ($18.76 - $24.68/hour)
Full-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Licensed Vocational Nurse/Licensed Psychiatric Technician reports to the Program Director and LVN/LPT Supervisor and provides licensed nursing support services to patients and clients in outpatient programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Per authority of license, administer medications to patients, chart appropriate records, review medicine orders regularly, obtain appropriate physician approval, and coordinate with pharmacy as needed.
2. Order supplies and check delivery; stock and maintain inventory.
3. Assist with medical treatments and procedures and assume responsibility for general patient care.
4. Transport patients to doctors' appointments and laboratories for tests.
5. Conduct individual counseling, crisis intervention and pre-care coverage.
6. Conduct work-oriented daily living skills sessions and resocialization activity groups.
7. Consult with physicians regarding patients and medication adjustments.
8. Participate in carrying out individual and group treatment programs for patients as part of the treatment team and encourage patient participation in treatment activities.
9. Visit patients in their homes, in board and care facilities, or in other community placement locations to carry out prescribed treatment plans.
10. Motivate patients to develop self-reliance in daily living.
11. Observe patient's physical condition and behavior; report significant changes to professional staff; record clinical notes on patients.
12. Monitor and observe clients self-administer medications; administer injections.
13. Prepare and maintain a variety of records, and prepare reports.
14. Participate in in-service training programs.
15. Assist in training and instructing others.
16. Will drive on Agency business.
17. Participate in treatment programs for patients.
18. Analyze situations accurately and take effective action.
19. Work independently in proving coverage at outreach locations or providing patient supervision assistance.
20. Thinks and acts quickly and efficiently in emergencies.
21. Comply with all Turning Point Safety policies and procedures, including but not limited to: workplace safety, reporting work related injuries, Infection Control and preventing potential safety risks for staff, clients and others.
22. Punctual and regular attendance is an essential responsibility of each employee at Turning Point. Employees are expected to report to work as scheduled, on time and prepared to start working. Employees also are expected to remain at work for their entire work schedule. Late arrival, early departure or other absences from scheduled hours are disruptive and must be avoided.
23. Other duties as assigned by the Program Director. Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
1. Possession of a valid license as a Licensed Vocational Nurse or Psychiatric Technician as issued by the State of California.
2. Any combination of experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be: Supplemental college course work in behavioral or social sciences, and one (1) year of experience performing duties comparable to a Mental Health Worker or related nursing experience.
3. Knowledge of basic concepts of mental illness and mental health including the physical, emotional and social needs of emotionally disturbed individuals.
4. Fundamentals of psychiatric and mental health nursing care.
5. Basic medical and psychiatric terminology.
6. Principles and techniques involved in the care and treatment of individuals or groups of mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or mentally retarded patients.
7. Contra-indications, side effects and signs of medication complications.
8. Ability to apply routine psychiatric/medical nursing care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed or mentally retarded patients.
9. Recognize symptoms indicative of adverse patient reactions.
10. Communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
11. Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken Spanish preferred.
12. Express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
13. Possess a valid driver's license and have access to a dependable means of transportation that is properly insured and operated in accordance with all laws. Agency insurer authorization is required.
14. Ability to use the equipment necessary to complete the responsibilities of the job.
15. Ability to pass a criminal background check.
16. Ability to pass a pre-employment physical, drug screen, general physical, and TB test. Hepatitis B Immunization Consent-Refusal form must be completed. Hepatitis B Immunization is available at the request of the employee.
17. Must maintain good relationships with clients, co-workers, government representatives and any others with whom the Agency is transacting business, and relate to them in a professional manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS FOR BILINGUAL SKILL
1. Communicate effectively in written and spoken Spanish.
2. Required ability to communicate effectively with monolingual Spanish speaking clients and families for all clinical purposes.
3. Assist with phone calls for Spanish clients.
4. Required to provide language translations for case managers and Physicians on a periodic basis.
5. Minimal adequate competency in the Spanish language as evidenced by successful passage of the TPOCC Spanish Competency Test.
6. Other translation tasks as required.